decorative image decorative image
Autumn's Mom decorative image
My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Hey. I see you there. Thanks for the visit, hope I'll be seeing you again soon.

Back To The Grind
We're Back
Packing
CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS
What Are You Lookin At?
So Gina Won't Electrify Herself
Two-fer Tuesday
Dirty Jobs
Baby It's Cold Outside
It Smells Like Christmas Up In This Bitch!

Powered by Blogger

Title Images: Image Cafe
Image Hosting: Flickr
Design: Design in Reflection
Geeky Friend: Tommy's Daddy

 


Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Adventures on I-5

After a fun filled 4 days in the OC, it was time to head home. We got up slowly and checked out about 9:30 and went across the street to get a crappy breakfast. Earlier in the week, we'd visited this Denny's like joint for our free continental breakfast. I'm just not a fan of continental breakfast. This is AMERICA, I like REAL breakfast. Something that will satisfy til lunch, you know? Anyway, the first morning we dined at this establishment I was thinking that I needed to get some cash before we headed into the park. I noticed they had an ATM machine and tried to withdraw $200. I got a receipt and no money. The receipt said declined and $0 received. Ok. Whatever. I'll find another ATM. Frankly, I should have been smart and just checked at the hotel for an ATM machine. I think they would have a more reliable machine, it's a reflection on their establishment. No, I was dumb and used the old QUEST machine at the fake Denny's. I decided I'd better call my bank to make sure the money wasn't withdrawn from my account. Yes, of course it was taken from my account. This wouldn't be of any significance to write about if they didn't take my effing money right? I guess I should thank them for making my blog interesting. Thanks you greedy mutherf%@##$! DO NOT EVER USE A QUEST ATM MACHINE. I'm still dealing with them and my bank to get my GD $200 back.

Ok, back to the ride home. I made a quick call to Gina to see if we could meet for some coffee, but she was up to her elbows in rodents. ACK We had a quick conversation, said goodbye and then got on the road back up north. I had about 1/2 a tank of gas and thought I could make it through the Grapevine before I had to make a pit stop. Ok, it is never, I say NEVER a good idea to try to get the through the Grapevine without a full tank of gas because you just never know what to expect. Especially if you are driving in a gas hog of a Kia. There was a little bit of traffic in LA, but still we moved smoothly. It was sunny and about 5 degrees. As we descended into the Tejon Pass, it was cloudy and cold. The temperature had dropped about 10 degrees and kept going. The further we got, the more foggy it became and we watched the temp drop down to 35 degrees. buuuurrrrr All the while I'm watching the gas tank. We drove slowly and safely through. We did see one really bad crash where someone had gone off the road, lucky for them it wasn't a big drop at that point. There were about 10 cars pulled over to off help before the police arrived.

Still watching the gauge, I'm delighted to see the first exit with fuel and food. We pull into a gas station, it's dark but I think it's because it's so gray. I get out to get some gas and notice there are no read outs on the pump. I look around and I see people, but no one is pumping gas. Pretty much there are a bunch of idiots like me standing around scratching their butts trying to assess the situation. I continue to stare at the pump as if willing it to come alive and say, "Dot, welcome, put your card in." I finally notice a sign on the door of the gas station. NO POWER. Great, ok, I'll pull across the road, there are more stations over there. Everyone it seems at this junction is having a power outage. We cross our fingers and hope the next station is up and running. The next station is close and we pull off. As we come to the stop sign, I notice a fire truck parked to the gas station and there is yellow caution tape blocking off the entrance of the Chevron. This is not a good sign. As we drive past, I roll my window down thinking maybe I can ask someone what the hell is going on. That's when I notice the smell. There was some sort of leak going on, I decide to just leave.

Now I have less than a quarter of a tank and no idea how long til the next exit. At this point, my heart is racing and I'm thanking 8lb 6 oz baby Jesus in his little ghost manger that I have AAA. (ok, who gets that reference???) I check each exit name so that in case I have to call I can tell them, "I'm the middle of hell, exit Road 269." A sign up ahead says Mobile Station 18 miles. I turn off the air conditioner (for the defroster), set cruise control for optimum speed control and tell myself I have 18 miles left in my tank. And that they have power.

They did. Sorry, I'm not a very good story ender. Or teller. But that was our adventure. By the time we got home, my neck and shoulders were so tight. Probably from those herky jerky rides and my tense hour trying to buy some overpriced gas! Going to my chiropractor tomorrow and once a week for the next month! dadgummit I'd do it all over again though. With a full tank of gas.

posted by Autumn's Mom at 8:42 PM