decorative image decorative image
Autumn's Mom decorative image
My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Hey. I see you there. Thanks for the visit, hope I'll be seeing you again soon.

Butterfly Town, Here We Come!
Joey's Sad
How YOU doin?
Surreal Life
Shark Tales
Let Them Eat Cake!
Deal
Scene from a Kitchen
Borderline
Grey's Anatomy

Powered by Blogger

Title Images: Image Cafe
Image Hosting: Flickr
Design: Design in Reflection
Geeky Friend: Tommy's Daddy

 


Monday, February 27, 2006

How was Your weekend?

This dreary, cold and rainy Monday can't even begin to put a damper on the good mood I'm in. I had a fantastic weekend! The drive down was long, the bed was a little more firm than I like...but that is really all I have to complain about. The bed & breakfast was quaint. We had a nice room. The three of us weren't too crowded. And, we had our OWN bathroom. All the guests really seemed to be conscious of the fact that all noises could be heard throughout the place. I did hear a little bed tapping once. Thankfully only once. Everyone would be whispering at breakfast time downstairs, which I thought was funny.

Saturday, we went for a long walk along a trail beside the ocean in Pacific Grove. It was early and the fog was beginning to clear. It was not too hot or cold. The sea lions were close to shore playing. We kept calling them the heads because that's all you could see (when they weren't sunning themselves on a rock). We came to a beach where two dogs were frolicking in the water. The sea lions were so intrigued by the dogs. Four or five of them were watching them play. They would drift closer to shore. Then the dogs would splash into the water and scare the heads. They would disappear and pop up further out. They did this several times. Also along our stroll, we imagined which ocean front house we would want to live in if we won the lottery and could afford to live there. Real estate is so unbelievably expensive there. No houses under a million. Trailers are going for $500,000. I said TRAILERS. Crazy.

After our long walk, we hopped in the car for a drive. We looked several times for the butterfly sanctuary. Literally drove by it like 3 times. I was expecting it to be a big unmistakable site. Like with big arrows coming out of the sky pointing the sanctuary out. Yeah, it wasn't. We did find it. It wasn't all that exciting. There were quite a few butterflies but not a ton. I guess December is the time to go see them. This coming from someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about...but you know how that goes. Apparently February/March is mating season for the butterflies. I can tell you first hand, that yes it actually IS. haha If you looked straight up, you could see butterflies flying through the trees, like you would normally see birds. It was pretty cool. Lots of beautiful big monarchs.

Moving on down the coast, we went to Carmel. My husband wanted to visit the Mission founded by Junipero Serra. There was a wedding taking place that day. We could tour everything but the basilica. M was real interested in all the artifacts. Me? I was more interested in the wedding. I kept hanging back in the courtyard to get a glimpse of the bride and groom. How nosy huh? Old dead guys just don't interest me. Well, ok, some of it was interesting. I like looking at old photographs and they had rooms made to look like they would have back in the 1700's. Pretty cool. But back to the wedding. I wanted to know what kind of people get married at the mission?? Old people do. There were so many blue hairs there it was like a convention! Not what I was expecting.

Carmel is a little too upscale for my tastes, if you know what I mean. Just not our kind of place. It's very crowded with people in fancy cars who don't know the rules of the road or have any courtesy for other drivers. We tried half heartily to find a place to eat and park with no luck. Which was fine. The only parking we did find was by the Coach outlet and it was only 30 min parking. So instead of lunch, I got a new wallet :D Not to worry, we did eventually eat lunch, slice of pie and a soda. Then we headed back to the quietness we've come to love in Pacific Grove. It's really just the best place. Autumn took a dip in the ocean. She turned a funny shade of blue and we had to rush her back to the hotel for a nice, hot shower. We had dinner at a pricey place called Pasta Mia. M wanted to go to the Mediterranean next store, but I wasn't feeling advenurous. I told him when it's his weekend, we'll go to Amir's Kabob House (another place we drove by). I just wasn't in the mood. Pasta Mia's was good. I had their Salmon special with polenta and sauteed vegetables. M had noodles putanesca. Both were tasty. We also had wood oven garlic bread. YUM.

Sunday we headed to the aquarium in Monterey. Good thing we went early. There was a line up the streat when we left around 1 PM. We raced on over the the Outer Bay to see the sharks being fed. We ended up at the wrong tank and saw the Tuna being fed instead. While it was interesting, it was not I'm sure as good as seeing the sharks being fed. But that's ok. Autumn's favorites were the penguins and the sea otters. The sea otters are more fun to watch because they are so playful and active. They had already been fed and the trainers had left the red bins out, which I guess they use to put the food in. We watched as one playfull little guy somehow managed his way into the bin and forage for some scraps. Would have made a great picture to insert here, oh yeah Autumn broke my camera. DAMN.

We headed home around 2 in the rain, tired and satisfied with our relaxing weekend. We even stopped at Target on the way home. We just couldn't seem to let the fun end. :D

Now it's over. I'm back at work. But I still have fond memories of "my weekend". M kept telling Autumn to be cool and not spoil Mom's weekend. I think I'll keep him :)

posted by Autumn's Mom at 9:28 AM