decorative image decorative image
Autumn's Mom decorative image
My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Hey. I see you there. Thanks for the visit, hope I'll be seeing you again soon.

Happy Friday
Evolution of a Night Light
I'm So Bored!!
I Heart Pumpkins
Actual conversation tonight as my husband tried to...
Strawberry Daiquiri
Autumn's Beloved
My Favorite Furball
The DR is IN
I Hope I'm Not The Sour Kind

Powered by Blogger

Title Images: Image Cafe
Image Hosting: Flickr
Design: Design in Reflection
Geeky Friend: Tommy's Daddy

 


Sunday, October 01, 2006

Indian Summer, What Happened To You?

100_0415

This weekend the dreams of an indian summer crashed and burned. Normally, this time of year we are indulged with very calm weather. No winds whipping my gazebo top to shreds, warm days, cool nights. Today, it actually drizzled. Showers are in the forecast for this week. J is sitting back on her comfy couch with a glass of wine saying FINALLY!!!

With Jack Frost letting out a chuckle here and there this weekend, we went on a mission to find Autumn some warm outerware. There was none to be found I tell ya. Old Navy was a bust, as was well every store we went to. We actually found something at Kohl's and the goodwill store of all places. I've given them so much, I thought we could get a little back. I sometimes feel guilty to shop at a place I feel should be for those who can't afford much more. But the look on Autumn's face when she found the cutest crop jean jacket made me swallow my guilt with a large Dr. Pepper with extra ice.

Today after a long walk with the neighbor, I got to thinking about my Mom. I thought about my FIL too, about how he said we never come over. I've actually seen you the past two weekends in a row. I haven't seen my mom in way too long. So I called her and asked if she wanted to go get gelato. I can think of no finer way to celebrate the end of summer, than gelato. We had a great time sitting outside the little shop eating and reminiscing about our family, mostly her parents. My grandmother had nine sisters. Can you imagine life with ten girls? It must have been complete chaos. We talked about these family reunions we'd have, where the sisters would drink and dance on the tables. My mom thought this was funny that I even remember such a thing. It's kind of hard to forget a picture like that of your beloved grandmother.

While we were sitting and chatting, we noticed a police car pulled over and two officers talking to a man with a baby stroller. I was being a total gawker, at first I thought maybe something had happened to the child or something. They talked for several minutes. As the man walked away, my mom says, "He's a homeless man." It was kind of unnerving to see a homeless man stowing his life into a baby stroller. I guess you do what you can with what you find? I don't know. I got to thinking, of all places to get caught being homeless, The Creek is not the place. It's high end, it's diverse, but not that diverse apparently.

After every outing with my mom, I can always count on her to come home and write me a quick email telling me that she had a nice time and what a great daughter I am. (insert tooting horn here). I just wanted her to know that I love that. I look forward to it. I love ya, ma.

I hope your weekend was just as lovely as mine.

posted by Autumn's Mom at 9:14 PM