decorative image decorative image
Autumn's Mom decorative image
My Photo
Name:
Location: Northern California, United States

Hey. I see you there. Thanks for the visit, hope I'll be seeing you again soon.

I Hope I'm Not The Sour Kind
The View
Give a Dog a Bone
Frisky Friday
Stupid Internet Connection
Back on Track
I'm a Bad Aunt
September 11, 2001
It's Your Turn
Dress Code

Powered by Blogger

Title Images: Image Cafe
Image Hosting: Flickr
Design: Design in Reflection
Geeky Friend: Tommy's Daddy

 


Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The DR is IN

Yesterday I met with a representative from DR Horton about my house. DR Horton bought the shady company that built my little shanty. I could tell you horror stories about our first home buying experience but that is another story for another time. My house is about 6 years old. We've been pretty lucky, we have only really had one major problem. We have a water leak somewhere in the back of the house the floods into my closet and then into the bedroom along the back wall. I've already had to replace the padding under the carpet in the closet once. It got pretty bad last year and we really didn't know who to call other than a contractor who'd bend us over backwards for money we ain't got. M, being the handy man that he is, actually tried to find the leak the first year it happened. He was unsuccessful. The other problem that my tile kitchen counter top is complete cracked along the grout that is against the wall. All the way around. The worst spot is of course behind the sink where water gets down there. Nice.

Right after we moved in, there was a petition to sue the builder for some problems people were reporting. Things like mold problems, insulation problems (lack of insulation), cracks in the stucko, condensation in between the double paned windows, water damage. One couple in our neighborhood had to vacate their home for months while the problem was fixed. They promptly moved right after. Anyway, people kept telling me recently that our builder was bought out by another company and they were coming out and fixing any problems that we have. All you had to do was go onto their website and report your problems. This past weekend, a new friend was telling me how they replaced 7 of her windows due to condensation. What was I waiting for??? Last week, I submitted my requests and two days later I received a call. They sent a rep out to my home yesterday. I had a list of 10 items that he looked over. The leak is of course the most major thing. The rest he said was really homeowners maintenance but they would be happy to help. I was really pleased with how willing he was to write down every little problem I had. He has already set up a water test to find my leak on October 3. They are basically going to BLAST water at the back of my house while he and I sit and sip cocktails and watch. Good times. Once that problem is solved they will work on the littler things like regrout my tile, fix my back door that is off kilter, replace weather stripping and retouch spots on my window cill where my wood blinds have banged the crap out of so much the sheetrock is showing through. I'm pretty excited.

Maybe later I'll post some before pics of the problem areas.

posted by Autumn's Mom at 9:19 AM